Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Stiftung/Foundation in Germany, and a Senior Research Fellow at the Helmholtz Zentrum für Umweltforschung (UFZ), Leipzig, Germany under the Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Georg Forster Research Fellowship Programme for Experienced Researchers. He is also a Senior Lecturer and Researcher on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) with the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Agbani, Nigeria. Dr. Ejikeugwu enjoys working closely with undergraduate and postgraduate students to help them develop their own passions for microbiology, pharmaceutical microbiology, bacteriology, pharmacy, research, teaching and other aspects of their life. His research interests are in AMR, infectious diseases, novel drug discovery, HIV-1, bacteriology, and virology.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of www.Microbiologyclass.net, a global online microbiology website for microbiology notes, news and teaching resources in all aspects of microbiology. Microbiologyclass.net is Africa’s largest and number 1 microbiology website for academic and research resources for students, researchers and tutors in the field of microbiology in the region. The website has contributed in awakening the interests of young scholars and students to pursue a career in the field of microbiology. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu was selected for membership in the Global Young Academy (GYA), Germany, for a period of 5 years (June 2020 – May 2025). He is also a member of the Global Health (GH) Working Group and Science Education for Youth (SEY) Working Group of the GYA in Germany.
After receiving his Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology from the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria (2017), Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the Laboratory of Infectious Disease Model, Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences at the Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan – where he had his first postdoctoral training on virology and carried out research related to HIV-1 reservoir and cure as a MIF Postdoctoral Research Fellow in 2018. He received the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award in 2017 shortly after his Doctorate degree oral defense in the same year.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu went ahead to winning his second postdoctoral fellowship award by receiving the DAAD Fellowship ‘Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists’ Award (2020). He had his second postdoctoral research fellowship at the Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) [a.k.a. Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing] in Berlin, Germany in the Department of Materials & Environment, Division of Biodeterioration & Reference Organisms – where he carried out research related to biocide resistance. His third postdoctoral fellowship is currently subsisting at the Helmholtz Zentrum für Umweltforschung (UFZ), Leipzig, Germany under the Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Stiftung Georg Forster Research Fellowship Programme for Experienced Researchers.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a Pharmaceutical Microbiologist by training and holds a Degree in Applied Microbiology from Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria (2008) and a Master’s Degree in Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria (2012). He is an international scholar and researcher that have researched ad nauseam on antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and infectious diseases. Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has won several academic awards and grants across the globe due to his commitment to research and service to humanity.
His work on AMR is helping to strengthen the knowledge and evidence base of AMR in Nigeria and the sub-Saharan West African Region through basic research and surveillance on priority resistance pathogens (e.g., Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus) in the hospital and general environment – with the overarching goal being to reduce the incidence and disease burden of AMR as well as ensure the optimization of the use of antimicrobial agents in human and animal health in Nigeria and Africa at large. His research works on AMR has received over 1000 citations globally according to Google Scholar.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has authored and co-authored over 120 original research papers in international peer reviewed open-access journals in the area of AMR research across the globe. He developed www.Microbiologyclass.net to help microbiology enthusiasts, students, teachers and other microbiology lovers across the globe, particularly in Nigeria and the sub-Saharan West African region to have free online access to microbiology notes, health news, microbiology topics, and other academic resources and materials for self-discovery and professional development in the field of microbiology. He is driven by creativity and professionalism to contribute to the corpus of knowledge and help push the frontiers of knowledge in the field of microbiology in Nigeria, Africa and across the globe.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a member of a handful of professional societies/associations including: Applied Microbiology International (AMI), European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID), Global Young Academy (GYA) in Germany, Nigerian Society of Microbiology (NSM), American Society for Microbiology (ASM), and Asian Council of Science Editors (ACSE). He is an Affiliate of the African Academy of Sciences (AAS), an Associate Member of Microbiology Society in Scotland, UK, and a Fellow of the African Science Leadership Programme (ASLP). He has also served as a reviewer for various international peer reviewed journals including Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health, Gene Reports, Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, Nigerian Journal of Microbiology etc.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu is a passionate Development Knowledge Facilitator (DKF), Writer, Trainer, Speaker, Teacher, Drummer, Blogger, Web Developer, Husband and Father. He believes that education is for empowerment and emancipation of the mind from mental slavery and imprisonment, and not merely for employment. To this end, Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu wrote a book titled: “Street Smart Book Smart” published on Amazon.com [as KINDLE VERSION & PAPERBACK] to help young people everywhere balance the attitude and skills of the classroom and that of the real society in order to become a valuable personality in the real world after leaving school.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu have been active in programmes through which he impart the knowledge and skills in the field of microbiology he has accumulated over the years from both national and international institutions, on both students and researchers in Nigeria, Africa and across the globe. He is an active member of the “Antibiotic Resistance Research Group” of ESUT, Nigeria – where he doubles as the Lead Microbiologist. He has developed and initiated a couple of international networks across the globe, particularly in Japan, United Kingdom (UK), United States of America (USA), Germany and Austria to further advance the state of the sciences in the field of AMR and microbiology in Nigeria.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has written and contributed to several book chapters including “Lichen Secondary Metabolites as Possible Antiviral Agents” published by Springer International Publishing Company in Switzerland and “Antimicrobials: Past, Present & Future published by Amazon Digital Services“. He has a flare for teaching, research, community development and student/youth empowerment, which was why he founded and developed www.Microbiologyclass.net, an online microbiology website that is helping microbiology students and enthusiasts in Nigeria, Africa and from across the world to be on top of their game in the field of microbiology.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has researched extensively on investigating the environmental occurrence and phenotypic and genotypic characteristics of priority multidrug resistant Gram negative bacteria, generating data, with potentials to inform policies and programmes aimed at forestalling the evolution and community transmission of drug-resistant pathogens in Nigeria and the sub-Saharan West African region.
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu’s online portfolio and some of his publications can be accessed from the following links:
- ORCID: https://bit.ly/2PcAsTe
- Google Scholar ID: https://bit.ly/30kBHRp
- ResearchGate ID: https://bit.ly/2MqsK5F
- Loop ID: https://rb.gy/cc4tmm
- LiveDNA ID: https://bit.ly/2MpQUx6
- Linkedin: https://bit.ly/2YYMnpb
AWARDS / SCHOLARSHIPS
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu has received the following Awards/Grants/Prizes:
- Alexander von Humboldt (AvH) Georg Forster Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, UFZ, Leipzig, Germany. 2023
- Rising Star Postdoctoral Fellowship, Freie Universität (FU) Berlin, Germany [Unutilized]. 2023
- Research Fellowship from Hamburg Institute for Advanced Study (HIAS), Hamburg, Germany [Unutilized]. 2023
- Travel Grant from The World Academy of Science (TWAS) to attend the 20th Annual Meeting of Science and Technology in Society forum (STS forum), Kyoto ICC, Japan, October 1-3, 2023.
- The World Academy of Science (TWAS) Young Affiliateship Award. 2022
- Young Investigator Award on Antimicrobial Resistance, Institute Mérieux, France. 2021
- DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, BAM Institute, Berlin, Germany. 2021
- AAS Affiliate Membership Award from the African Academy of Sciences (AAS), Kenya. 2021
- Speakers Fund Scholarship from Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (the French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development) to attend [virtual] Sustainability Research & Innovation Congress 2021 (SRI2021), June 12-15, 2021
- Scholarship Award from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to attend Virtual Life Keystone Symposia eSymposia meeting HIV Vaccines | EK42, June 1-4, 2021
- DAAD Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, Berlin, Germany [Unutilized due to COVID-19]. 2020
- National Researchers Prize in Microbiology in Nigeria. 2020
- Elected Member, Global Young Academy (GYA), Germany [2020-2025]. 2020
- Elected Fellow, Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP), [2020-2025]. 2020
- Travel Grant from Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), 2019.
- Travel Grant from Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) to attend 8th Congress of European Microbiologists – FEMS2019 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, July 7-11, 2019
- Travel Grant from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to attend Keystone Symposium on HIV Vaccines in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, March 24-28, 2019
- Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, Kyoto, Japan. 2018
- TETFund Institutional Based Research (IBR) Grant for Early Careers, Nigeria. 2018
- National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Award of Excellence, presented by the Senior Special Assistant to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) as the Best Corps member in the North-West geopolitical zone of Nigeria, and in recognition of his outstanding performance as a Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Advocate in Kaduna State, Nigeria during the 2009/2010 Batch ‘B’ National Youth Service Corps Year. 2010
Microbiologyclass.net is a global online microbiology website working to help microbiology students and enthusiasts stay on top of their chosen profession in the field of microbiology. From developing scintillating microbiology notes to helping students and tutors, we are committed to improving and sustaining the academic and professional well-being of our users around the globe!
Dr. Chika Ejikeugwu’s Curriculum Vitae can be downloaded from: MY CV
Once again, welcome to www.Microbiologyclass.net . . . . . your Number 1 Microbiology Website!
Please drop by and say hello to the microbial world!